Wednesday, April 2, 2014

//UDPATED// Spring 2014 - here's what we have so far this year

4/2/2014 - Wabbaloo

With spring here, I figure I should resurrect our birdwatching blog.

In the backyard bird area, we have a pole with two tube feeders (one with niger, the other with a mix; they bring the finches, titmice, chickadees, and what appears to be a common swift) and a traditional feeder with the sunflower seed mix (cardinals and titmice).  We also have a hummingbird feeder, and saw our first hummingbird this year on 14 March 2014.

Our cardinals:




Our finches:


We have a mealworm feeder which has only seen Carolina wrens visiting it. The wrens have built a next inside a large plant container which houses a knockout rose bush.  If I recall correctly, these are our wrens:



We've been visited by a ladder-backed woodpecker on the other side of the yard a few times, and we occasionally see white winged doves.


The common swift I believe I'm seeing at the feeder coincides with the building of a nest on the other side of the house.  Haven't seen them at our feeders in the past, kind of interesting.  Not 100% sure it's a swift, but it looks pretty close. I've reached out.

Looks like we have male and female brown-headed cowbirds. See http://nature.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bird/msg04195646760.html?2 for my question on Garden Web's Birdwatching Forum. Here are 3 pics:






Also, the chickadees have started using the little birdhouse that's been hanging up on a post for years in the backs.

We have NOT seen the return of the male and female painted buntings that we've had in the past!

Both feeders:


Stay tuned for further updates.  Will get a pic of the swift nest, the wren nest, the chickadees in the bird house, and I think the cardinals are building a nest as well.

2 comments:

  1. It is so exciting to have a place to come and learn/I.D. birds that we see around here. Your yard sure attracts a lot of different species, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply! It does indeed. It's great for the kids because they know these birds now and love to watch them as well.

      I think we may have exhausted the different species here, as I haven't really seen any different species other than the ones on our blog. Except the mourning dove -- I shant post pics of them, they're quite the eaters!

      Delete